[Aroid-l] Amorph dormancy

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorph dormancy
  • From: Brian Williams pugturd@alltel.net
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:35:45 -0500

I have over wintered both paeonifolius and Konjac here in Zone6 with just heavy mulching. I would think your protective hoop house will help block most the wind and keep out the rain which drainage is very important during this time. I believe a good mulching around the base of the plants could be very helpful in keeping them from rotting. I would suggest 6 to 10 inches of hard wood easy to rot mulch. Another thing to take note of is for me at least large konjacs seem to rot easily when kept outside. Not only this they also seem to multiply more meaning that one large tuber may become 2 or more tubers after a hard winter. I find that if I dig them up and keep them in door this does not happen. I believe it maybe that the center growth point may get damaged during winter and cause the tuber to want to split into more. Also keeping the smaller tubers off keeps the larger tuber from spreading its energy into smaller off shoots.
Aroid-l mailing list