Re: [Aroid-l] typhonium trilobatum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] typhonium trilobatum
  • From: "Agoston Janos" <agoston.janos@citromail.hu>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:18:24 +0100

Thanx Julius!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 12:36 PM

>From : Agoston Janos <agoston.janos@citromail.hu>
Sent : Saturday, December 9, 2006 9:11 PM
To : "AROID-L" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : [Aroid-l] typhonium trilobatum

Dear Jani,

The little that I know about Typhonium trilobatum is that it probably is a
'tropical' species.   I mentioned this plant in an older article I did for
Aroideana (maybe you can search the archives to read a copy?) when my
brother and myself  'discovered' it as a new aroid species growing as an
introduced weed on Trinidad, W.I., which certainly is a VERY tropical area!
It seems to do well when grown as almost an aquatic.
It probably can withstand occasional cold snaps down to about 55 deg. F.,
but when grown here in S. Florida, it likes to go dormant in the cool
season.
We believe that it was introduced to Trinidad from Southern India as a
remedy against snake-bite sometime in the late 1800`s.   Dr. Sivadasan (who
works on aroids in S. India) confirmed that this Typhonium species was in
fact used by people there as a snake bite remedy, amongst other claims (it
is not know how or if it is effective as a remedy).
I sent fruit of this species to Dr. Victor Soukup (HI VIC!!) and I believe
his findings were that the chem. composition of the fruit/seeds of this
Typhonium sp. differed substantially from other species of Typhonium that he
tested, perhaps Vic can give us some snippets of info. on the 'why' of this?
I hope this helps you, Jani.

Good Growing,

Julius

   >>Dear All,

I would like to know the estimated hardiness of Tyohonium trilobatum. I
heared that it is a tropical plant. Is that true?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Bye,
Jani<<