[Aroid-l] Typhonium and its possible useful effects

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Typhonium and its possible useful effects
  • From: Victor Soukup <soukupvg@email.uc.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:35:02 -0500

Dear Julius,
Sorry to be so late in replying. You did indeed send me seeds of Typhonium trilobatum when I requested them for my study of the acids of the seed lipids. The acids of this species turned out to be the less exciting kind. I'm trying hard, with the help of some other very kind seed donors, to complete the study early in 2007. The seed acids of Typhonium are very important because they suggest that the genus is not monophyletic. My finding has now been confirmed by molecular studies. But there is more to it and I hope you will soon be able to read all about it. While most of the aroids used medicinally in the Near East contain phenyl-terminated fatty acids, T. trilobatum does not, so whatever may be the active principle, is probably something else. Thus, I really can't give you any more info without making it up. Sorry.

Aroid-l mailing list