[Aroid-l] Re: Variegata Aroids

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Variegata Aroids
  • From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail@hctc.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:40:40 -0800

> >> Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:11:59 +0100
> >> Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: variegata aroids
> >> From: "Agoston Janos"
> >> To: "Discussion of aroids"
> >>

> >> OK, BUT CAN WE STABILIZE VARIEGATION? ARE THERE ANY
> VARIEGATED >> TUBEROUS OR RHIZOMATOUS AROIDS?

What exactly is meant by stabilization?  Do you mean, the
same pattern on each leaf?  Or do you mean the plant never
loses the variegation?  Here in Hawaii, Epipremnum aureum in
the naturalized state always retains the pattern of the
cultivar 'Aureum', never reverting to all green.

Also, by variegation, do you only mean a broken pattern, as
in the aforementioned example, or do you mean any
contrasting color pattern?  Because as we know, there are
species in which contrasting veins (Philodendron gloriosum)
or dots (Zantedeschia aethiopica) are the norm.  The
last-named is tuberous, as are Caladiums.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large