Re: [Aroid-l] Administrivia - Alocasia or other genus ID

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Administrivia - Alocasia or other genus ID
  • From: "Agoston Janos" <agoston.janos@citromail.hu>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:00:33 +0100

Yea, sorry for copyright violation...
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 6:47 PM

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, StroWi@t-online.de wrote:

> No, this is not my picture, although I wish I had taken it.
> Being not the photograher I hesitated to copy and paste it....

And this means that I slipped up. I try hard to make sure that no copyrighted
material is posted to Aroid-L except by the owner or with the permission of the
owner, but I'm human and therefore error-prone (which is why I make no promises
about the handling of Aroid-L other than to try to do a reasonable job) and was
in a hurry and somehow I had gotten the idea it was Bernhard's image, too,
although he certainly never said or implied that it was. Bernhard did it right
- since it wasn't his image, he posted the URL to the image rather than the
image itself.

I'm not pointing fingers except at myself, because I'm sure that those who
reposted the image to Aroid-L would never had done so if they hadn't also
thought it was Bernhard's picture. But that image is now in Aroid-L's archive
without the permission of the copyright owner and I can't get it out; the
archives are handled independently of Aroid-L. We'll hope the photographer
understands there was no intent to misuse his or her image.

But this is a good occasion to ask everyone to be sensitive to this issue, and
not post copyrighted material to Aroid-L unless you are the owner of the
copyright or unless you have the owner's permission. And in the latter case,
I'd certainly appreciate it if you accompanied the material with some statement
to that effect - i.e., "Darth Vader, who took this picture, has allowed me to
post it here." - so that everyone understands.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list
Aroid-l mailing list