Re: Amorphophallus costatus flowering

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus costatus flowering
  • From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:39:59 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Eric,

Up the road at Kanapaha Bot. Gardens in Gainesville, FL  we have one konjac near the entrance that has always flowered at this exact time (early December), while all others in a seperate mass planting of A. konjac flower around March-April. I can't think of any differing conditions  between these two plantings that might affect flowering times. I have always found this one plant on a "reverse cycle" to be very interesting. Considering A. konjac's temperate natural range I wouldn't think a winter flowering period would be an effective adaptation - that is assuming this is a clone that is programmed to bloom at this time and not being stimulated by something yet to be determined. Come to think of it, I haven't been paying attention to our confused plant lately and will have to check and see if it has tried to send up an inflorescence , which most likely has already been knocked back by our recent freezes.

Adam Black