Re: Amorphophallus costatus flowering

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus costatus flowering
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:28:39 +0000

Dear Eric,

Yes, the leaf usually dies down, and a few months later a bloom is produced.  Since A. konjac is usually grown in cooler climates (I recall seeing several which were grown in the ground in bloom   at Dr. Tom Croat`s home in Missouri!), the corm usually will go through a dormant period in the winter, and when the warmth of Spring sends the corm a ''signal'', the dormant corm then produces a bloom.   Because the corm was shipped to you in Florida probably from a cooler Northern region, the warmth of a Florida ''winter'' probably sent a false ''signal'' to the corm that Spring has arrived, hence the early bloom.
Further information about the odor emitted by blooming Amorphophallus, there are many funny tales about this, two are--
 A guy comes home to find his house surrounded by emergency trucks and personnel.  His Mum had called them, as his dormant corm which he had stored in his basement had bloomed, and she thought the bad smell was a gas leak!
Another was a guy seeing his roof covered in Turkey Vultures, they had followed and come to  the smell of a blooming A. konjac in his collection.

Good Luck,

Julius