Re: Amorphophallus costatus flowering

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus costatus flowering
  • From: ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 02:16:00 -0500

Eric:

It's not just nematodes that are a problem with this species in Central
Florida.  Our soil is evidently way too hot and the tendency to be very
wet late in the growing season all contribute to problem.  Some
individual clones do reasonably well and others, expecially large
plants are very susceptible to erwinia infection.  I have the best luck
with them potted and in a very well-drained medium and I try to keep
them dry when we tropical storms or worse.

I have one that's in bud now.  In colder climates, they have a very
well-developed cycle and flower in March or April.  Here in CF, they
can evidently flower any time of the year and they typically, if left
potted, will flower a couple of months after the growth goes down.

Ron McHatton
Central Forida, Zone 9B