Re: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

  • Subject: Re: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:21:34 -0600

When I first received this note I didn't notice it was from Aroid l and assumed incorrectly it came directly from Beth  For those of you who don't know, Beth Campbell is an "aroid nut" living in Ecuador and she and I have exchanged quite a few notes.  I sent photos to Beth of a new Philodendron I now have in hopes she might be able to learn more about the habitat, adult size and any other notes on the plant, thus my note which I assumed incorrectly went directly to Beth.

Beth has located a beautiful new Anthurium species (possibly more than one) which has yet to be described that she brought to Tom's attention.  The plant has ornate leaves that are roughly cordate/ovate with a spathe that is yellowish trimmed in burgundy/pink and a and beautiful spadix that is on the pink side as well.  Beth, if possible please post your photos since I have a feeling a lot of Anthurium collectors would love to eventually have a specimen.

Since I ran off at length about my unidentified Philodendron collected near Limón, Ecuador I thought some of you Philodendron nuts might like to see the plant which appears to be an unidentified species according to Dr. Croat.  I acquired the plant at the September IAS show in Miami directly from Ecuagenera and immediately took it to Tom for a possible I.D.   Dr. Croat examined my specimen and does not appear to believe this Philodendron has been identified to science.   Limón is between Quito and Guayaquil.   Although I've tried to gain more information on exactly where the plant was collected, to date I know little.

My Philodendron appears to be a
climbing vine with bullate (puffy) slightly coriaceous pendent leaves.  The petioles are shallowly "C" shaped and the total length of the blade and petiole is approximately 3 feet (90cm).  The petioles alone are about 12 inches (30cm) and the blades are presently around 24 inches (60cm).  The mid rib of the leaf is sulcate and has numerous parallel grooves and the upper blade (adaxial surface) is highly glossy while the underside (abaxial surface) is matte.  The underside of the blade is bicolorous.  The stem of the plant is approximately 1.5 inches (3.8cm) thick and has what appears to be pubescence (hair).  To date, the plant has not added any new leaves so I do not know anything about the cataphylls nor has it produced an inflorescence.   Ecuagenera brought only one specimen of this plant to the show so I am not certain if anyone else has acquired a specimen although I suspect at least one other exists in southern California.  I have given two smaller cuttings to two other serious collectors in Florida in hopes they can grow the plant to its full size quicker than I can in an artificial rain forest environment in NW Arkansas.

I've begun to collect as detailed notes as possible and in March or April plan to take the specimen to Dr. Croat in St. Louis for futher examination.  It is my hope he will be able to observe the specimen in the wild and eventually publish the plant as a species.  You can see the plant in my photos attached.  If anyone else has this plant I'd love to hear from you privately.

I hope all of you have a great holiday season!

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com

ExoticRainforest wrote:
Since Dr Croat now has a new research assistant in Ecuador I'm sure the new year will bring new species!
Beth, If you come across any info on my bullate leaved Philodendron supposed collected near
Limón, Ecuador I'd love to know more.  I've begun to describe it according to the rules laid out by Dr. Croat in hopes he will be able to observe and collect it in the wild at some point in the future.  But as you know, without the proper field notes the plant cannot be scientifically described.  Perhaps you can help to fill in the gaps, especially if it is purely an epiphyte, the maximum size of the blades and the appearance of the inflorescence.  The stem on my specimen is quite thick so I suspect the specimen I have is a field collected specimen and not one that was cultivated.  For some reason the guys at Ecuagenera are suddenly very hesitant to provide any new info!!

Good luck in your searches for new species!  I'd love to be able to be there to help.

Steve

Feliz Navidad y Prospero Año Nuevo from Ecuador! May the new year bring new species!

Beth

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image