Re: Found the Giant Belolonchium in the Wild!

  • Subject: Re: Found the Giant Belolonchium in the Wild!
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 16:37:43 +0000

Dear Elizabeth,

I`m certain that the next time Tom visits Ecuador this one might be on his agenda to see and collect specimens of!  Anything you can do to move this along for him, like the collection of sexual material dried in Quito, photos, etc. I`m certain he will be appreciative of, as it may not be in a fertile state when he visits.
Before I forget, I wish to thank you for that wonderful snippet of information you passed on to me some time ago about your Shuara friends collecting, transporting and cultivating Caladium steudnerifolium from nature to their home veggie plot, also that they believe in it as a love charm, which parallels the paper I have sent you copies of from 1917, on the Benas (charms) of the Amerindians of Br. Guiana.
I look forward to hearing what info. you can glean from your friends on the new species of Caladium from E. Ecuador (Aroideana 2009, in press) in their wonderful lives.
Of course my ultimate goal for whan I pass on would be for SOMEONE to pick up the ball, as it were, and continue the studies on the Ethnobotanical importance of aroids in the lives of Amerindians, a task started by Richard Evans Schultes, Tim Plowman and others.