Re: scale insect

  • Subject: Re: scale insect
  • From: Leslie Georgeson <skinnychick2@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:00:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sherry,
I had the same problem on my ficus trees after moving from California, though I had never encountered scales before in my life.  They are a very frustrating pest to get rid of.  I used an alcohol/water solution (per info I found via the web) and wiped/scrubbed clean every single leaf and stem, which was a painstaking process.  The alcohol did not harm the leaves (not even the variegated ones).  The scales disappeared and I thought I was rid of them.  A couple of months later they were back.  Interestingly, they have not spread to my aroids.  They seem to prefer the ficus sap.  At the time, I did not think to treat the soil, but I'm thinking about pouring a Neem oil solution into the soil (this worked for getting rid of mites on my giant philodendron, and I'm curious to see if it would work for scales).  I too would be interested to hear if someone has an effective solution for getting rid of scale.