Re: scale insect

  • Subject: Re: scale insect
  • From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:18:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Sherry

I don't have scale infestations very often (except on one pesky Anthurium andreanum and my Monstera deliciosa variegata) but they have always responded to the old "dish water" treatment.  Fill a bucket with lukewarm water and add just enough original unscented Blue Dawn dishwashing detergent to make the water feel slippery.  Put some of the solution in a spray bottle and completely drench all leaf surfaces, petioles, stems, etc., paying special attention to any areas where the smaller scales might hide.  The soap in the water breaks up the surface tension and allows the water to move in under the scales and they drown (what a pity, ha ha).  After that is done, submerge the pot in the bucket until the entire planting medium is completely saturated (a few minutes).  This does quite a number on anything lurking in the pots.  I do not rinse the plant, but allow the soap water to dry on the leaves while the pot is draining.  This works so well for me that I've started treating all of my "outdoors for the summer" plants the same way.  I've noticed a marked decrease in the number of "unauthorized personnel" when I move the plants back into the greenhouse in the Fall.  Now if I could only figure out a workable "assembly line" for the procedure.  As it is now, it takes me the better part of a week to get all my plants treated and moved inside.  It's a good thing I'm retired!

Hope this helps.

Sheldon Hatheway
Canby, Oregon, Zone 7B