Thnks!

Albert just informed some of us there are upcoming improvements to the IAS website that will benefit all our members.  I hope he'll be announcing that soon here as well.

For those of you that have indicated on Aroid l or in private mail to me you aren't a member we want you to know we want everyone that has any interest in aroids to be a part of this forum.  If you never choose to join the International Aroid Society that is not as important than knowing about all the people interested in aroids.  Please post often..............but just in case you decide to join, I can promise you will find the return on your investment to be substantial.

IAS is able to function due to great volunteers.  Tricia, Ron and Albert are at the top of the list but there are many others that never make their names heard.  For those that don't know, Steve Marak has volunteered his service for many years to the group by setting up and moderating Aroid l.  He rarely opens his mouth on this forum but he is to be thanked over and over again.  Most of you don't know but Steve and I are almost neighbors and live only 30 minutes apart in the northwest corner of Arkansas.  We've learned there are other aroiders within a few hours of us and would very much like to establish an IAS chapter for this part of the country.  If you live near us in Oklahoma or SE Missouri please drop us a note.  And if you will consider volunteering to help with all the things that need done at IAS please let us know.

For those that responded to my request to tell us where you are I would encourage any of you that may have discovered there is an aroider living in your part of the country to consider getting together.  If you didn't, you can go to the IAS website and see a list of members.  You may just find a new friend.

Once you find aroiders that live near you there may be an IAS chapter in your future.  All of us  that are supporters of the organization would like to see many chapters formed in the U.S., Europe, Asia, Australia, Central America, South America or anywhere else there is an interest.  For those inCalifornia you already have one, just drop a note to Albert or Christopher Rogers for details.  If you would be interested in spearheading a chapter please send a note to Aroid l, Albert or myself.  We will be glad to help you get the ball rolling.

Part of the reason I asked you to respond is I wanted to know you better as well as where you are.  We can only work together to make IAS grow if we communicate.  When I was in college I thought I wanted to be a psychologist (wrong) and studied that field for years.  I changed my mind in favor of another career but the one thing that was crammed into my head was we all need to communicate.  So please don't make that single post your last.  Tell us what you grow, what you don't understand, what you'd like to learn, and what the IAS can do to make growing these genera more enjoyable.

If you are a regular reader you already know there are some fantastic minds (not mine) on this forum and we are blessed with real aroid experts and field botanists.  They are here to help you so please take advantage of Aroid l and post your questions.  There is no such thing as a question that should not be asked.  Personally, even though I've grown aroids for 20 years I've only been a super serious aroider for 5 years and can't tell you how much I've learned right here!

And lastly, I really want to thank my good friends Leland Miyano and Julius Boos for their posts today.  Leland has been feeding ideas to some of us for two years on what we need to do to make IAS a better organization that serves its members in ways we haven't even explored.  Thanks Leland, your ideas are great.

And to Julius, I thrive on your posts since you have been both a friend and mentor for a long time.  We are all supporting you in your current health issues and every time you feel like writing please continue the work you've done for so many years. For those that haven't heard, Julius received some good news and his health may be much better than thought.  Personally, our family asks for divine help for Jules all the time and I know of other IAS members that do the same.

I'm often told I get way too long winded on here so that's it!  Thanks to all that have responded and if you haven't please hit the button to send a response now.  We really do what to know where you live, what you collect, and who you are.  Please communicate with us through Aroid l or by direct mail on a regular basis!

Steve
www.ExoticRainforest.com

begin:vcard
fn:Steve  Lucas