Re: Leucoplasts and variegation

As far as I know leucoplast is a kind of cell organ which is the mother of other plastids, like chloroplast (found in leaves, makes it green) and chromoplast (mostly found in flowers, chromo means color). I think you may find an accurate description for it in the Jacob-Jäger-Ohmann's Botanical Compendium (http://books.google.hu/books?id=-PziPAAACAAJ&dq=Kompendium+der+Botanik&hl=hu&ei=EyocTaaHJ5Gs8QPS242PBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAA), unfortunately I don't remember the pages, it is most likely you'll find it in german version, but it is extremely useful. They have a part about plant and plant-organ evolution.
I read the upper decription in that book like almost 10 years ago, so I might remember wrongly.