Re: Cultivation of Taccarum

  • Subject: Re: Cultivation of Taccarum
  • From: Hannon <othonna@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 15:31:05 -0800

It looks like your mix does not dry out at all. I recommend allowing the surface of the soil to dry completely between waterings. Also, the soil in the pot should come right up to the brim so that the plant+soil does not sit so low in the pot. I have done well with this species in a mix of peat+sand+perlite. When the leaf is fully formed the plant is thirsty and dries out a lot between waterings; this does no harm and in fact may help. My plants are also pot-bound-- the largest blooming specimens are in 8" pots. Keeping plants pot-bound in general is of great benefit to a wide range of species.
I wonder if you might have here T. warmingii instead? Essentially the same culture.
Best of luck,