Re: Philodendron sp. 'Burle-Marx Fantasy'

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron sp. 'Burle-Marx Fantasy'
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 08:58:26 -0800 (PST)

Dear Corey,

Aloha.

I can clear up some of the confusion with Philodendron associated with the name, Burle Marx.

First of all, there is the species, Philodendron burle-marxii.  It is very distinct in that it has pendant long bladed leaves.  It is a slow climber with rather short internodes.

Second, is a cultivar with the name, Philodendron 'Burle Marx'.  It has prominent back lobes and fasciated or flattened stems that tend to branch copiously.  It is a fast rambling vine.  There is also an un-named(?) Philodendron that came from Roberto Burle-Marx, that does not have the fasciated stems, and smaller leaf blades, but, looks very similar to the cultivar in general characters.

Third is the Philodendron 'Burle-Marx Fantasy', a vining species with beautifully marked juvenile leaves that lose this character when the leaves mature.

I have only seen Philodendron burle-marxii in flower, and it tends to bloom with three inflorescences per petiole.  The interior of the spathe is whitish, at least on the top portion.

Aloha,

Leland