Notification (fwd)

Julius has been having difficulty posting the message below to the list
so I am doing it for him.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:42:29 -0600
From: "Julius Boos" <>
Subject: RE: Hispanic Grocery Tubers

Dear Les,

>I finally located a hispanic market here on Long Island and was faced with
>the classic question of which "aroid is this root".
>I found Mapuey, Columbian Yam and two varieties of Yautia.  After searching
>the web, I identified Mapuey as Dioscorea trifida.  Is that an aroid?  Can
>it be grown over a short season?<<

How lucky you are!!  You have found a few interesting( and delicious!)  Aroids
and a few VERY delicious non-aroids!!  I believe that "mapuey", IF in fact it
is D. trifida, is the same as what Jamaicans call "yampey" and we Trinidadians
call "cuch-cush".  It is without a doubt the smallest and THE finest tasting
(and the most costly ) of the Dioscoreas, and as far as I know the ONLY edible

Dioscoria native to the New World.  It may require a longer growing season
than you can provide, and grows as a substantial vine, with leaves reminiscent
of a bat-man logo!  You can cook it like potato, and mash it with butter, use
it in soups, or make a shepard`s pie with it.  Enjoy!

>Columbian Yam looked very much like tubers of Colocasia esculenta.  At
>$1.29 a pound it seems far more reasonable than the general cost in
>nurseries.  Is Columbian Yam a Colocasia?<<

I do not believe so, it prob. is a species of Dioscorea, called "white" or
"St. Vincent " yam in Trinidad.  Coarser texture than Mapuey, but also good.

>Yautia looked like (and probably is) a Xanthosoma.  Can anyone identify
>Xanthosoma fla (presumably florida) and Xanthosoma lily?<<

I believe that the "Xanthosoma fla" will probably be X. sagittifolia, and the
"Xanthosoma lily" (actually they are trying to say the spanish for "lilac",
it`s color) will be X. violacium.