Re: Grocery Store Aroids

Julius,

Thanks for the insight.  At least I'll be able to grow the Xanthasomas.
I'm disappointed about the Columbian yam not being a Colocasia.  The tuber
looked like what I'd expect a large Colocasia tuber to be.  If it grows as
a vine (you said that it does), I guess I can sprout one to double check.

You said that the mapuey and Columbian yam were both Dioscoreas but that
the Dioscorea trifida was smaller.  In fact, the mapuey was about 1/4th the
size of the Columbian yam or smaller.  Perhaps that ID was correct.

Can you list some potential names for Colocasia tubers - names that would
be used in a hispanic market catering predominantly to Puerto Ricans and
Dominicans?  There's not much of a Mexican, Cuban or Central American
community here on Long island.  I still hope to find a cheap source for
large Colocasia esculenta tubers before next spring.

Perhaps its time for one of our web pages to have a table with common
grocery store name in one column and scientific name in the next column.
I'd volunteer except that so far, I would be able to supply only 4 rows to
this table and that was only with your help.
          Les

>How lucky you are!!  You have found a few interesting( and delicious!)
Aroids
>and a few VERY delicious non-aroids!!  I believe that "mapuey", IF in fact
it
>is D. trifida, is the same as what Jamaicans call "yampey" and we
Trinidadians