Re: Sauromatum venosum seeds

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Jaime Rodriguez wrote:

> I was getting concerned,  because most of the seeds
> grew a coating of fungus fuzz.  It turns out the skin coating on the
> surface of the seed was rotting,  but the seed itself is unaffected.  I
> pricked one out to investigate it more closely,  discovered the rotting
> skin,  and a healthy radicle protruding from the seed!  A little closer
> inspection revealed that instead of the high mortality I feared,  I am
> getting very high germination!  Now I just need to figure out where I am
> going to plant 40 sauromatums! <grin>

Jaime,

As I recall, Brian Capon in his latest book on botany for non-botanists (I
am at the office and do not have the book to quote title and verse) says
the formation of a fungus is a normal part of germination for many seed
types.  I have noticed this phenomena on many of the Anthurium seed I
have germinated.  Sometimes the fungus growth is visible only under a
magnifying glass.  The fungus growth seems to diaappear when the monocots
begin to appear.

Don