Re: Thailand aroids

Don Martinson wrote:
> I snuck a peek at some of the other pictures on Alan's page and noted that
> you have a picture of a Pycnospatha arietina from a Bangkok market.
> I am planning visiting Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket) in late
> January.  Since I have an import permit, I was wondering what aroids would
> be good to look for - in the markets and otherwise?
> As far as wild growing aroids, in what growing stage might they be at this
> time of year.  When is their dormant period or is that highly variable with
> species?  This will be a great opportunity for me and I don't want to pass
> anything up.  Also, are there any particularly good botanical gardens to
> visit?

You lucky rascal.  I had planned a trip to Thailand this past Oct, but it
got canceled at the last minute.

There is supposed to be a nice botcanical garden in Chiang Mai ( the Queen's

I can get you the name/address of an orchid nursery in Bangkok ( in fact
they are the ones that sent me the Pycnospatha, although they sent it
as an Amorphophallus).

There are supposed to be several plant markets in Bangkok, and you should
be able to find some dormant Amorph tubers there.

merry christmas, alan

Alan Galloway                        alan_galloway@ncsu.edu
P. O. Box 37456                      galloway@pagesz.net
Raleigh, N.C.  27627                 (phone & fax) 919-881-2008
U.S.A.                               http://www4.ncsu.edu/~alan/