Re: Aroids in foreign languages

In a message dated 12/22/98 11:00:41 AM EST, plantnut@macconnect.com writes:

<< I once heard Jose Abalo, a noted Heliconia authority from Venezuela say
 that "It is difficult for a Spanish speaking person to pronounce Latin in
 English."  From this point of view, I have no doubt that there are several
 unusual nams that have come up...
 Dewey >>

In my final year of undergraduate study, I had the experience of translating
plant's Latin names from Spanish into English.  Our guide would tell us the
name, and then I had to say it again so that the English-speaking students
could understand.  For example, in pointing at a Cyclanthaceae, the guide
said, "see-clan-TA-see-a," and then I had to translate it as, "sy-clan-THAY-
see-ay."