RE: native North American aroids

Those of you in Florida will probably have a good laugh when you learn that they charge us between $3 and $5 for Pistia here on Long Island.  The same holds true for water hyacinths.

These tolerate our ponds for the summer and then roll over dead at the first sign of cold weather.

You'll laugh further still to hear that I'm keeping one Pistia alive in my kitchen so that I can save a couple bucks next summer (plus it's a souvenir of a Florida trip anyway).

             Les