Re: native North American aroids

Les, Donna, et al:
	One fact is being missed in this discussion.  A few years ago during a
study of Pistia it was found that plants had somehow gotten into the Dutch
canal system and were showing up year after year.  They were behaving as
annuals, blooming, producing seed which sank to the bottom and then
germinated the next year as the water temperature rose.  I don't know
whether they are still there but the nub of this note is to point out that
in an area in Zone 6b or 7, such as on Long Island, Pistia might be able to
persist in a shallow stream which does not freeze solid and which can warm
up sufficiently fast in the spring.  I doubt that it would ever become the
"pest" that clogs Florida waterways but I can see some reason for caution.
However, don't get me started on preferential treatment for businesses.

Vic Soukup
At 10:39 AM 12/16/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Yes, you have quite adequately assessed the situation. The government would
>never think of limiting any commercial operation's profits, so we sure know
>who is being served here, don't we?

Victor G. Soukup
Department of Biological Sciences
University of  Cincinnati