If you want an Amorphophallus.........

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: If you want an Amorphophallus.........
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 11:36:50 -0600 (CST)

Peoples,

The Amorph research collection has done quite well last season, although not
too many offsets or seeds for distribution among you people. The list of
goodies is added at the end. Although the variety is o.k., the numbers we
have are often small. Usually quite some orders come in so if I tried to
satisfy everybody, it would mean that you get one tuber or so. That sounds a
bit frustrating. So this time I am going to invoke a bit of "first
come......". I know, it isn't fair but hey, next time we may have
more.......I am sure more people will be disappointed this year than last in
not getting anything...... The victims of last year (who didn't get anything
or mainly DOA's) may want to remind me of that, so I can check last year's
correspondence and may give you some priority.

I have copied the instruction-text below of last year's distribution. Read
it well, so I won't get a load of superfluous mails. Honestly, everything
you need to know to get material is listed below. Hope ye all read it
well......

Cheerio,
Wilbert
____________

A few policy remarks
etc.

- the list contains plant names, often followed by clone numbers. If you
want a particular clone of a species (because you already had another one
from an earlier distribution and want to play with the naughty bits to get
seed.....), please mention the clone number with the species name. If you
want a clone, any clone, don't indicate a number.

- the tubers will be sent with phytosanitary certificates.

- the tubers will be sent with the clone numbers, whether you requested a
particular clone or not. PLEASE, try to keep the clone number with your
plant on a label. There may come a time, when all of our collection freezes
over and I may have to ask your help to build it up again......(your WORST
nightmare, I know!).

- my paying policy hasn't changed, so here it is again. I am not asking
particular amounts of money for species, so rarity etc. doesn't matter. What
I ask you to pay, is what you yourself think the ordered plants are worth
for you, and please, DO include your own financial state-of-affairs in your
considerations. If you don't have much to spend, then don't. I'm happy that
you get these freaky plants.  If you have plants to swap in return, that's
fine, I'll be waiting for the offer.......

- do NOT pay before you get your plants. Then decide if everything is o.k.
Subtract from the estimated amount the plants that were DOA (and please,
mention this to me).

- paying: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, NO cheques or anything like it (incl.
money orders or what not). I only accept cash in an envelope. I know, this
is not the most secure way, but the hassle I have with cashing cheques is
beyond your imagination. It also costs a damn lot of money to do it. As if
banks didn't have enough money. So, don't even consider to do it or ask me,
the answer is "no"!, ONLY cash.

My postal address:

Wilbert Hetterscheid
Chrysantenstraat 28
1214 BM Hilversum
Netherlands

- direct all orders and related electronic correspondence to:
hetter@worldonline.nl

- PLEASE include your postal address in your ordering email. This has often
been forgotten in the past and that is a horror for the admin people. No
address, no plants.

- the CLOSING CEREMONY for this distribution is set on FRIDAY 9 February!!!!
ANY order coming in later, will only be rewarded with
left-overs, if there are any at all. (Hell, even I don't know what
constitutes a "left-over" in Amorphophallus............).

- I assume that the shipping will start some two or three weeks after the
closing date. Please indicate if your climate is a danger to the plants in
that period. I don't think we can avoid sending them but maybe you have an
alternative address. If not, don't order. We cannot keep the plants here for
too long because they will wake up and deteriorate.

- print out or keep this entire message because I am not going to repeat
things in individual messages.

- when you order by using the reply key, please "cut the crap", meaning, cut
out all my statements above and stick to the list, your postal adress and
what you have to say yourself. Thanks.

So, folks, here's the list. Hope you find something to your liking:

Amorphophallus:

angolensis H.AM.344
ankarana H.AM.048
bulbifer H.AM.136