Re: going to california

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: going to california
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@NRAO.EDU>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:28:51 -0600 (CST)

brian williams writes:
 > Hello! Brian Williams here. I am planing to go to California. I will be
 > leaving this weekend. I am going with my cousin and will be driving all the
 > way. I would like to know if anyone knows any nice collections I can visit
 > or any nice nurseries to see? I know I will be stopping at Missouri
 > botanical gardens. So Tom if you read this I will be bringing the
 > Typhonodorum seeds personally. Probably safer for them. Also I will be going
 > to Huntington botanical as well as southern exposure nursery. If anyone
 > knows any other places to visit or collectors out their that would not mind
 > taking a plant nut threw their collection let me know. THANKS Please e mail
 > me soon will be leaving Sunday or Monday.
Other interesting places are Stewart Orchids in Carpenteria, the Camellia
gardens in La Canada (just off the Foothill Freeway).  The Huntington is
right by Caltech; I think the grounds there are well worth an amble though
part of the attraction to me is probably nostalgic.  A few weeks ago I
visited Kartuz Greenhouses 1408 Sunst Dr, Vista CA 92085-0790 Weds-Sat
9 - 4 ph 442 941-3613 MikeKartuz@aol.com billions of begonias, only a few
aroids but he had a great Anthurium warocqueanum T. Moore (nfs but what
presence this plant has; I had not seen one before).  I had the distinct
impression that he wouldn't sell me several of the plants I lusted after because
I had told him earlier in conversation that I didn't have a greenhouse.
I admired him for that afterwards, but of course it incensed me a little while
still in the throes of plantlust.  The money was better spent having dinner
at Azul in La Jolla watching sunset on the cliffs.  In northern California
the gardens behind UC Berkeley are great.  Don't go to California without
hugging both coast redwood and sequoia!  Last time I was in Santa Barbara
I stayed at Pacifica Suites (805) 683-6722  5490 Hollister, Goleta, CA 93117.
This was formerly (late 1800s) someone's home and the new hotel has been built
on the grounds, but the someone (whose name escapes me) was a great collector
of exotic plants, and many of the rare trees he planted are incorporated into
the landscaping of the motel--really wonderful.

Clear skies,
Al
|Al Wootten, Slacktide, Sturgeon Creek at the Rappahannock|
|Astronomer (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)           |
|genealogy homepage  http://members.tripod.com/~astral    |
|Deltaville, Virginia              (804)776-6369          |