RE: going to california

I am sorry to say that Stewart Orchids is no longer in Carpinteria.  There
are still a number of very interesting orchid nurseries in the Santa
Barbara/Carpinteria area like Santa Barbara Orchid Estates and Cal-Orchid.
 These two firms are almost across the street from each other.

Very recently, the new owners of Stewarts sold the land and greenhouses to
an undisclosed business (rumor is an oversees venture interested in growing
something like begonias), sold off a great deal of the stock and stud
plants and moved the remainder to Natchez, Mississippi.  They are now
advertising from that location so they may be open for business and if
that's on the route, you might stop.  By the time they moved, the business
had dwindled to something not recognizable from the old Stewarts when it
was located in downtown San Gabriel, let alone after the merger with
Armacost & Royston which created the Carpinteria operation.  Seems to be
the way of big American orchid nurseries.......The Rod McLellan Company in
South San Francisco just sold out to the Taiwan Sugar Company.

Ron McHatton