Re: [aroid-l] O.T. (was A. spruceanum)

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] O.T. (was A. spruceanum)
  • From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:02:04 -0300

Good to hear from you again and I am heartened to hear that your Spathiphyllum collection may find a new home!

You will forgive one brought up by those believing in the return of the Bonny Prince for pointing out that the name "Rand", in this case, is the abbreviation for "Randolph". A bit too Gaelic for "randy", which has other meanings for Sassennachs we won't go in to here. In short - no one calls me "randy", unless they know me well enough to know when I actually am.

The "pinky" is the little finger. I have no idea as to the origins of the colloquialism.

The "Lexmark" is my wayward printer/scanner which may well be inhabited by some malignant and irritable scanner trolls. The "photonic maw" of the Lexmark is simply the scanner bed, whereupon Lord P. in his beneficence hast relieved me from making a living AM/Drac spruceanum sacrifice.

One more note for Englishmen everywhere as I seem to hear this most from them: It is certain that anyone born north of the 49th parallel (myself, a Canadian of Scots ancestry living in Canada), and dubious that anyone born in Dixie, south of the Mason-Dixon Line in the USA, would refer to themselves as a "Yank". Something to do with an historical differing of opinions  about which Americans would be more knowledgeable than I.

Rand .

In the Great White North