Re: [aroid-l] help with pollination

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] help with pollination
  • From: Nathan Lange <nelange@concentric.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:07:40 -0800

Pollen can be collected by carefully turning the bulb/flower upside down over a piece of newspaper and gently tapping on the base of the flower. The pollen can be stored in refrigerated sealed containers for over a month, if not longer. Perhaps the pollen can be stored until next year. The stigmas are most receptive to pollen during the peak of the flower's characteristic aroma. My experience has been that by the time the flower's signature fragrance has passed and pollen dehiscence has begun, the chances of successful pollination have greatly diminished. Self-pollination would be successful within the same clone but, with only one flower, the pollen won't be produced until after the receptiveness of the stigmas has passed. As soon as you have two flowers that don't open on the same day, you should be able to pollinate the second flower with pollen from the first.

Alternatively, in theory you can pollinate within the same flower. The people at Huntington did just that with A. titanum. They have a description of their procedures at http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/TitanPollen.htm.

Good luck,
Nathan