RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron seed from S. Amer.

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron seed from S. Amer.
  • From: "Denis Rotolante" denis@skg.com
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:20:48 -0500

I got similar results from my seed which were supposed to be Saxicolum
and speciosum. I was very supprised that the seed was so dry and
powdery. The speciosum seed germinated 50% And grew vigorously but
turned out to be some plain sagitate leafed vining variety not an
arborescent type at all...The saxicolum germinated about 60% but just as
you described in your experience turned out to be some kind of
bipinnatifidum-esque seedlings. I do not know whether they let the fruit
flies and beatles do indescriminate pollinations of plants or they
deliberately send people gerbil-speak assuming that the average person
will not be able to germinate and grow the seed to maturity and see what
they really are. "You want speciosum? Here, take this random
open-pollinated selloum seed and grow it out if you can."  Oh well. Live
and learn...

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida