Re: [Aroid-l] old Philodendron list

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] old Philodendron list
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:06:53 +0000

>From: "Michael Pascall" <mickpascall@hotmail.com>
>To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
>Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] old Philodendron list
>Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:43:38 +1000

Dear Friends,

Well said, Michael---any confusion that might have existed concerning the 'correct' Philo. species on which to place this name was cleared up by Dr. Eduardo Gonclaves' EXCELLENT article and scientific description of this wonderful plant as a 'good' species'. The article featured both photos AND fantastic line-drawings of this extremely now-rare-in-the wild plant, less than 20 specimens are known to exist in the wild, all isolated from each other on remanant trees left over from forest clearing and now standing in cattle pastures, no pollenators, hence so sexual reproduction is taking place.
The one question I have is how many independent collcections were originally made, and if there was variability in say leaf-shape or color to these different collections that were all presumably the same species, and to say that perhaps someone could start a discussion-group where photos could be posted of individually-owned plants of this species, we could then confirm if a particular plant is indeed this species.
I once more make a call to those in the USA who may be fortunate enough to own a plant or plants of this species to make every effort to hand-pollinate it and so get some seed w/ some genitic var., the same urgent request is now made to aroid loves in its native Brazil, Dr. Eduardo Goncalves and others, please try to hand-pollinate a couple of wild blooming plants to obtain seeds, without this effort NOW, this wonderful species is doomed to extinction. Perhaps we could once more discuss some limited tissue-culture of the remaining plants.
This is also an appeal for all of the Aroid-lovers out there on the web, lurkers and surfers, to PLEASE join the IAS, we are in urgent need of additional memberships, nothing would be worse that to no longer be financially able to produce our Journal 'Aroideana' or our newsletter, or this web-list, you non-mambers stand to gain a LOT of knowledge, the case above mentioned by Michael is proof-positive.
Good Growing all,
Julius Boos,
WPB,
Florida.