[Aroid-l] Caution with Hydrogen Peroxide

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Caution with Hydrogen Peroxide
  • From: ted.held@us.henkel.com
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:17:43 -0500

Just be careful with hydrogen peroxide at 35% active. This is a powerful oxidizer and will bleach your hair, your clothes and generally attack you if you are careless. The stuff you buy in the grocery is 3% active and is powerful enough for most uses. The way it works is by oxidizing and killing tissue, i.e. microbes. By the same token, it is probably not the best for long-term exposure to living material you want to remain living. If you don't have a reference you trust, you may want to experiment a little before you go whole hog. Err on the side of shorter exposures with dilute (1% to 3%) concentrations.

Ted.

ronmchatton@aol.com
Sent by: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com

02/01/2007 06:56 PM

Please respond to
Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
cc
Subject
Re: [Aroid-l] Hydrogen Peroxide

 This is a common use for peroxide in many, many potted plant crops.  In its most expensive form its marketed under the trade name Zerotol but its simply 35% hydrogen peroxide with some proprietary stabilizing agents.  It works if you keep up with it as there is no residual activity.

Ron McHatton
Zone 9B, Central Florida