RE: [Aroid-l] Off topic protective coating over Driftwood

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Off topic protective coating over Driftwood
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 23:38:33 +0000

From : 	Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
Sent : 	Thursday, February 1, 2007 11:14 PM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Off topic protective coating over Driftwood

Dear Brian,

I would dig around a LOT before treating driftwood on which you will be planting epihites, as the water repellent MIGHT be toxic to plant roots, and the 'protective coating chemicals' are probably just that, poisons intended to kill mold, bactaria, algae and therefor PLANTS! Read about what active ingredients they contain or what makes them claim to be effective. I`d go with the natural driftwood.

Julius

I was wondering if spraying or painting water repellant or protective coating chemicals on my drifwood would effect the plants that grow as epiphytes on them? I was interested in doing this to most of the pieces being used so I can get more years out of them. Does anyone know if this is safe for the plants??<<