Re: [Aroid-l] Off topic protective coating over Driftwood

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Off topic protective coating over Driftwood
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:23:23 -0600

Brian,  you might want to consider using the Fairchild Tropical Gardens idea of making "fake logs" out of large diameter PVC pipe with rolled cork bark attached to them.  You can use a variety of joints to create all sorts of shapes.  I've made several large logs and have all sorts of bromeliads, orchids, philodendrons and other plants happily attached.  I'm sure you've seen the Fairchild display in their orchid and bromeliad room.  Mine get watered almost daily and they are now 7 years old with no sign of falling apart.  The roots love the material and I have all sorts of epiphytes firmly attached.  I used just a very small amount of Liquid Nails to "encourage" the plants to begin to attach their roots.  The stuff is not cheap, but if you buy it by the bail it is reasonable.  One bail made 16 feet of "logs" for me.
Steve Lucas