Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Zerotol - Hydrogen Dioxide

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Zerotol - Hydrogen Dioxide
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:49:48 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Kyle Baker wrote:

> Zerotol - Hydrogen Dioxide not peroxide is ok for controlling fungal diseases
> via drench or saok. but only through an injector at 100-200ppm. I use it at

Just to avoid confusion, hydorgen peroxide = hydrogen dioxide = dihydrogen
dioxide (as opposed to water, dihydrogen monoxide, which is what's left after
a molecule of hydrogen peroxide loses [exothermically] its extra oxygen atom).

I read a book when I was about 10 which talked about using very concentrated
hydrogen peroxide, around 90% I think, as a rocket fuel - a "monopropellant",
because it required no other chemical with which to react in the usual sense.
It was catalyzed to break down almost instantaneously into oxygen and water (in
the form of steam because of the heat of the reaction). According to the book,
it didn't provide a great deal of thrust, but was useful because the breakdown
products were non-toxic. I was fascinated by this at the time.

Come to think of it, it's still pretty fascinating. I'm going to go fire up my
web browser.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list