[Aroid-l] Anthurium regale spadix has reached maturity

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Anthurium regale spadix has reached maturity
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:52:30 -0600

Just in case you've followed along with the development of the spathe and spadix of our Anthurium regale, the process has come to a near conclusion.  It took 70 days for the spadix to appear, turn from green to ivory, and then from ivory to purple almost over night.  Every day, with the exception of two, was documented in photographs.  Along the way we learned this species produces pollen from the top down which according to Dr. Croat is unusual in anthurium species.  You may recall I once questioned publicly if this species actually produced detectable fragrant pheromones.  It does.  But not until male anthesis begins as far as we could observe.  We managed to collect pollen which has now been frozen and a bit shared with another interested grower.  All that remains is to see if the spadix has been pollinated (unlikely) and will produce berries.  If you're interested in seeing the final results here's the link:

The plant is already several weeks along in the production of a new leaf.  The largest is almost 74cm (29 inches) so we are anxious to see just how large this one will grow.

Steve Lucas