RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron 'Santa Leopoldina'

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron 'Santa Leopoldina'
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:31:59 +0000

Dear Ted,

We visited Robert Kautsky, the original collector of the nomenclatural type of P. spiritus-sancti. He gave the plant George Bunting described. We observed the cultivated specimen he still keeps on his farm (from which dry specimens were prepared) and we spotted similar material around. We have been collecting in Espirito Santo state for years and we could only found this species in Kautsky's farm. Obviously we used classic taxonomic characters to ID it, including sections on flowers. That was not that hard because there is no other species that could be REALLY confused with P. spiritus-sancti, although you can confuse many species under the popular "loose" definition of "Santa Leopoldina". Right now we are using clones of the type specimen to make a profile based on the "DNA barcode" concept, in order to make identifications of P. spiritus-sancti more reliable. Unfortunately, the "real" identity of P. "Santa Leopoldina" will be hard to find out, mainly because you can't extract DNA from an horticultural legend!

      Very best wishes,

                                Eduardo.

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia