Re: [Aroid-l] watertrumpet

I am pretty sure the "trumpet" part is simply descriptive of the shape of the inflorescence. It is similar to Wendt describing Cryptocoryne as "chalice" (Kelch in German) plants or chalice flowers.

It would not surprise me, however, that someone where they are native might have discovered that one can produce a sound through them. After all, I was once fond of making fine sounds with blades of grass stretched between my thumbs. This non-obvious trick enchants children even today. But I would imagine that any pet name for Cryptocoryne derived from local child play would be in some other language than English. Do you know what Cryptocoynes are called in the local languages and how those names might be transcribed into one or another European language? If the local name is some variant of "trumpet", that would be the clue we need.

Otherwise, how did Niels learn to do what he is doing? Here you have a primary source.

"Jan D. Bastmeijer" <crypts@bart.nl>
Sent by: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com

02/23/2007 08:31 PM

Please respond to
Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

[Aroid-l] watertrumpet

The aquatic genus Cryptocoryne has a nickname in English as "watertrumpet".
At the 2006 meeting of the European Cryptocoryne Society in Switserland,
Niels Jacobsen (Copenhagen, DK) demonstrated that you actually can play on
it. Very funny to see (and hear) the movie at:

A question is from where the name "watertrumpet" originates. Is it the
typical tube and limb of a Cryptocoryne which resembles more or less a
trumpet or is there an indigenous root for this name? Anybody knows?

Enjoy it,

Jan Bastmeijer

the crypts pages   http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html

the lagenandra pages http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/Lagenandra/index.html