Re: Need some advice for aroids in outdoor condition climate zone 7

  • Subject: Re: Need some advice for aroids in outdoor condition climate zone 7
  • From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:46:53 -0800 (PST)

Hello, Franck,

Here in Canby, OR, USA, in a similar zone as yours, we successfully grow Dracunculus vulgaris and Arum italicum (in addition to the ones you mentioned) in the ground all year.  They do just fine with a little winter mulch if it gets below 20F.  Both of these are available from most of the larger mail-order nurseries.  A Google search will give you more leads than you could ever look at in a normal lifetime.  We also grow a number of hardy orchids outside:  Bletilla, Pleione, Calanthe, Dactylorhiza, Roscoea, Spiranthes, etc.  Some of these do well in full sun, and some appreciate a little light shade during the hot summer afternoons.