Re: Need some advice for aroids in outdoor condition climate zone 7

  • Subject: Re: Need some advice for aroids in outdoor condition climate zone 7
  • From: "Franck R." <fradnai@free.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:54:20 +0100

Hello Sheldon,
Thanks a lot for your answer, I'm going to see then what can I find. Thanks for the observations about orchids, for the moment they are not the plant I envisage but perhaps later. I want to give to my garden a touch of exoticism, so I start to implant different species to do it.
Thanks for your remarks

Sheldon Hatheway a écrit :
Hello, Franck,

Here in Canby, OR, USA, in a similar zone as yours, we successfully grow Dracunculus vulgaris and Arum italicum (in addition to the ones you mentioned) in the ground all year.  They do just fine with a little winter mulch if it gets below 20F.  Both of these are available from most of the larger mail-order nurseries.  A Google search will give you more leads than you could ever look at in a normal lifetime.  We also grow a number of hardy orchids outside:  Bletilla, Pleione, Calanthe, Dactylorhiza, Roscoea, Spiranthes, etc.  Some of these do well in full sun, and some appreciate a little light shade during the hot summer afternoons.

Franck RADNAI - Climate Zone 7

Web site : http://fradnai.free.fr/
Photos   : http://picasaweb.google.fr/Franck54280
Aroid-L mailing list