Failed Amorphophallus Bloom

  • Subject: Failed Amorphophallus Bloom
  • From: David <onimua@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 10:38:12 -0500

Hey guys! I was hoping someone can give me some answers about what went wrong with my plant (I believe it is dactylifer).

I got it a couple of months ago, and it started growing fine. It was, in fact an inflorescence, and had been developing just fine, albeit slower than I had experienced with other amorphs. Unfortunately, something happened and it had died (the flower, not the tuber which I dug back out a bit to see it in tact but smaller from producing the flower). Does anyone have any hints as to what had gone wrong? I personally don't understand how it manage to get that far in the inflorescence only to die with no known cause. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated, and how the next time I can do something to ensure a more successful bloom.

I attached pics of the final weeks of it, including the look of the inside of the spathe after it had collapsed in case it might be any help.

Thanks!