Re : Zantedeschia

  • Subject: Re : Zantedeschia
  • From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 00:15:26 -0800 (PST)

Greetings Mr. Held
( and other Forum Members)

I grow Calla Lilies, Zantedeschia, generally
outdoors here in the Chicago land area
during the Spring and Summer Months. Typically in the
ground, but also in containers. Commercial growers usually
pretreat the bulbs with various types of Gibberellic acid, followed
with a drench of fungicide / bactericide.
Cultural procedures that yield bulbs for sale, can also impact
size, number of eyes, and overall health of the bulbs you purchase.
 General growing cultutre : These plants like morning sun, where
afternoon sun will bring heat, high shade will be appreciated.
Callas like moisture, a soil that has compost, organic content, and
 a feeding about every 3 to 4 weeks of even balanced fertilzer, through
out the growing season. Plant the bulbs about 5 to 6 inches deep, and
about a foot and a half to two feet apart. I typically put about 2 inches
of a mulch, Pine or Hardwood Or both over the planted area. Dead head
spent flowers to encourage new buds. As far as Insect  pests go, you may
see Aphids, or sometimes mites, but rarely. These pests
can be dealt with, when detected early on, in an infestation.
In containers, I use a Bark, Rice Hull, Compost mix. I also add Terrasorb®
and Some graded size of "Aquarium gravel", which helps to drain the mix,
and keeps it from being it overly wet.
There are many color choices these days to choose from, and in the fall I
lift the bulbs, and store them over the winter, in my basement. I can usually
get a second season out of them, after that, at least here in Chicago, you
 can figure on getting fresh stock for the following season. Many are raised
from seeds, which gives the end user / grower, vigorous stock, which should
produce abundant flowering, and large leaf display.
These make an excellent addition to any garden.
Take Care,
Michael Kolaczewski