Re: Re : Zantedeschia

  • Subject: Re: Re : Zantedeschia
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 21:51:05 +0100

Dear Ted,

I live in zone 6, and though I cultivate my Zantedeschia plants in the
garden,
I must dig them for winter. I store them until April in a cool basement,
where the temperature never falls below 0C (32F).
In the garden they grow in full Sun, watered everyday
and strongly fertilized. Not all plants bloom every year.
The old big spathed cultivars like 'Black Magic', 'Mango' or 'Schwarzwalder'
are much easier to grow, they usually produce a few inflorescences per
season,
and they prolificate with many offsets.
The new compact ones are not so easy, they require loose soil, well drained,
because the tubers tend to rot (partially from the bottom) when it gets
colder for a few days.
They need to be watered only on sunny days.
Anyway, they are very easy to grow comparing to other tuberous aroids.

Good Luck,
Marek