Re: Fwd: High elevation plants

  • Subject: Re: Fwd: High elevation plants
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:43:15 -0600 (CST)

I've seen this technique described before (in the orchid world) and have
wanted to try it - but I can't find the drain tiles! Where did you get

I've called or visited at least two dozen places here in NW Arkansas that
sell brick, tile, etc. etc. and no one carries clay drain tiles any more.
They have flue tiles but they're huge and are not nearly as porous as the
ones on that blog look.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Brian Williams wrote:

> I have seen an new very odd way to grow high elevation plants. I have
> had really good luck on a living wall I made in the greenhouse that had
> a somewhat nice cool micro-climate from the evaporating water.  Recently
> I ran into a photo of a guy growing cool growing orchids in a very
> ingenious way.  The idea is to take a old stove pipe flu or clay
> drainage pipe.  Glue the bottom to a tray or bowl and then fill the pipe
> with water. The clay naturally tends to stay cooler than most surfaces
> and the added water tends to help to this effect. The water penetrates
> the clay and keeps it moist as well as producing condensation. I am
> trying the technique now on a few fussy Anthuriums.
> Here is a link to the blog of the guy that started using this. It maybe
> a new way for some of us to grow those impossible plants. Plus it is
> cheep and easy to do.
> http://hawkdog.net/wordpress/archives/761

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com