Re: Amorph ID help

Clark Riley wrote:

> About a decade and a half ago, I took a picture of a HUGE (6 ft high-2 meters)
> Amorphophallus in the greenhouses of the University of Chicago. The
> greenhouses and presumably the plant are long gone. It was labelled
> Amorphophallus riviera (presumably 'whatever' konjac), but mine have never
> bloomed even 1/10th this size.

Looks the same as one labeled same (rivieri) at Western Illinois
University I watched grow back in 1973. It reached about 4-5' in total
height and stunk terribly. Don't quite remember the shroud being quite
so wavy, but they commonly are. I have yet to get it to bloom, someday.
--
[ Tim McNinch (IAS) Illinois zone 4-5         ]
[ Greenhouseman wannabe                       ]