Re: *Long* administrivia (but please read it anyway!)

I would certainly compose snail mail letters differently than I do
now if I expected every postman from here to the ends of the earth to
read it.  I regard email, especially to lists such as this, as something
which I expect to be read and, hopefully, useful to someone.  Once I
sent a letter from my gggrandmother describing her wagon trip west to
a USENET group.  I was astonished to find later that it had been published
without my knowledge by someone else.  Although somewhat miffed at first,
the incident eventually led to recovery of a fair amount of new genealogical
information.  In another incident, I sent, by private email, to a
fellow family history researcher a completely speculative genealogy,
as we tried to work toward the truth.  I was apalled to later find out
that this had been published as gospel truth on a CD-ROM by a genealogy
firm, including details on my own family.  Neither I nor my correspondent
know how this came into the hands of the firm.  I think that whatever we
do, we should treat email as public information and rely on old fashioned
mail to exchange sensitive information.

I would like to see aroid-l archived.  This would make access to useful
information easier and relieve some diskspace on my computer.  Orchid
and bromeliad lists I have read are archived and they are made
enormously more useful because of it.

Clear skies,
Al
| Alwyn  Wootten   (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)	|
| Astronomer, National Radio Astronomy Observatory      |
| 520 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475, USA|
| (804)-296-0329 voice  Let's build The Millimeter Array|
| (804)-296-0278 FAX           {>    {>    {>    {>     |