Re: hardiness

>Les:
>
>        Both Colocasia esculenta and Amorph. bulbifer haved survived 0
>degrees F in our garden for relatively short periods of time.  Realize that
>most of the writing about aroids was not done by gardeners in zone 7.
>
>Tony Avent
>Plant Delights Nursery
>9241 Sauls Road
>Raleigh, NC  27603
>USA
>USDA zone 7, 0F-100F
>"I Consider Every Plant Hardy Until I Have Killed It Myself...Three Times" -
>Avent

I could not agree more.
True for hardiness, but also other growing conditions. I am in zone 6b (less
than 2 miles N of USDA research station in Beltsville) --> no error in the
zoning.
Among those that are not supposed to live here:
I cover laurel with dead stems of Aster and the laurel survives very short.
I do nothing special to Dahlia and Zantedeschia. After 8 years the dahlia
crowd is down to 5, but the Zantedeschia cultivars are slowly multiplying in
all-morning sun.
Clematis armandii is reduced to a non-blooming erect herb (winter) vining a
bit in summer. Passiflora caerulea has vigorous non-blooming climbing stems.
But on the other hand, I can't keep Pinus bungeana, Corydalis flexuosa ...
through winter. And it should not be the cold.

Christian
                    ,---
                  (  @ @  )
        |              Christian  FEUILLET            |
        | 11400 Hennessey Dr.   |    BIHOREL@cris.com |
        | Beltsville MD 20705   |      (301) 937 9197 |
        |   Plants . Fishes . Tropics   ...   Cats    |
        |   Genealogy . France   ...   & much more    |