Re: The correct name for Arisaema consanguineum

Pete et al:

Whoops, looks like it may be time to update the Arisaema Page. But before I
do, a couple of questions:

1. Has the observation by Hara that A. erubescens has an erect
infructescence been determined to be erroneous?

2. I've just been reading the 1996 article by Jenn-Che Wang on 'The
systematic study of Taiwanese Arisaema' which describes A. consanguineum in
detail. In an accompanying photograph, I was surprised to see the base of
the spadix of a female inflorescense covered with stout bristle-like
appendages. Are these the same as what you refer to as 'stout sterile
structures'. I don't recall seeing any in the consanguineums I grow, but I
may have missed them. Has anyone else observed them?

2A. Wang also notes that A. consanguineum and A. formosanum are very
similar in morphology as well as habit, and may hybridize with one another
in the wild. Is there any talk of lumping formosanum with
erubescens/consanguineum, or is the thickness of the spadix appendage
enough to keep them separate?

3. Has A. kelung-insularis been lumped with A. consanguineum, and therefore
with A. erubescens?

4. Can we expect any varieties or subspecies of A. erubescens to be
recognized? Just to further confuse things, I note that an 1879 publication
lists A. erubescens var. consanguineum-- looks like they were mixed up a
long time ago.

5. In Yunnan last fall I saw an incredible range of variation in plants of
what we though were consanguineum/erubescens. I'm sure it is possible that
they all could be one species, but I wonder if this is really true. Is Heng
Li confident that there is a single species, or does she think some
splitting may take place? Whatever the case, it certainly is an adaptable
plant, growing in every sort of environment, wet or dry, sun or shade, from
6000' (perhaps lower) to over 11,000'.

6. From Thailand and the Phillipines, too? Are these growing far up in the
mountains, and can any be considered tropical?

7. Pardon my ignorance of Latin, but I just looked up 'erubescent' and
found out it means red or reddish. Hey, the consanguineum I grow is all
green! (not even close to dingy brown) Speaking of Latin, just what is the
'same blood' that consanguineum refers to?

8. What's the latest theory on CT369?

9. Any idea when or if this change in nomenclature will be published?

Still confused,
--Roy Herold