Re: anthurium veitchii

Anthurium veitchii was discovered by Gustav Wallis in the last half of the
last of the last century. It is from pretty wet forest in Columbia. I have
no trouble growing it in my greenhouse here in the S. Carolina coast. The
biggest trouble I have here with anthuriums is the night time heat in the
summer. Most, but not all, plants from above 4500 feet in altitude
generally have a hard time with my night time temps. in the summer. I do
not know what altitude it comes from, but I know that people in Miami have
no trouble with the heat.

is not too much to pay for A. veitchii even in a 3" pot . It is rarely
available and not too many people are traveling to Columbia these days. The
juvinile leaves of many anthuriums do not resemble the adult leaves.
Althought anthuriums grow slowly they should consistently put out larger
and larger leaves until they reach their mature size. That mature size can
be up to four feet for A. veitchii. Various factors will affect the rate of
growth and ultimate size of anthuriums. Many anths. can be kept small  by
restricting their container size. But keeping them small is not what we're
after is it?

The most dramatic factor for anthuriums seems to be humidity. When these
plants are placed in fog(not mist, mist can be too wet)they get huge fast.
For example: about three years ago I donated a couple of Anth.
psuedospectabile to the Atlanta Bot. Gard. they had leaves about 12" long
at the time. Mine here in my greenhouse were a little bigger.
This past summer I visited Atlanta and their plants had grown to have
leaves almost 6 feet long! Meanwhile mine had grown steadily but still only
had leaves about 2 1/2 -3 feet long. Quite a difference made by fog.

Anyway, I don't know why more A. veitchii are not grown, it truly is one of
the most magnificent anthuriums. 20 bucks is a bargain at any size.
Glasshouse has them for 75.oo and I have seen plants at the IAS sale for
$100.00.

Hope they grow well for all who got them,

Neil