Re: P.selloum/P.bipinnatifidum

Neil Crafter wrote:

>I'd just like to echo Rob's thoughts on this plants adaptability to most
>conditions and I guess that is why people grow it in so many different
>places and climates.=20

Only yesterday I was told of a fair sized plant with a 3ft. 'trunk'
which grows in the corner of a garden in North Devon (north coast of
the south west peninsula of England) where it has been regularly
subjected to near freezing salt-spray from the sea in winter, cold
drying winds in early spring and only moderate, maximum, summer
temperatures of around 80F at the very best.  It has never been
subjected to lower than 28F in winter and in most years, retains a
good proportion of its leaves.  Even from an 'English' point of view,
the conditions it has to endure are pretty rough.

>One thing though, Simon Mayo revised the subgenus
>of Meconostigma of which this plant is a member some years back and
>reduced P.selloum to synonomy under P.bipinnatifidum,so we should really
>be calling it under its correct name. But I guess old habits(and a lot
>of nursery plant tags) die hard!

Hmmm. Good point although I wonder how many nurseries would be happy
with pricing it down to the level of P. bipinnatifidum.  Here at
least, seedlings and young plants under the latter name are
significantly less expensive to buy than when sold under the former
name.  In a recent catalogue I noticed:

Philodendron bipinnatifidum:	=A36.50	(25cms. pots)
Philodendron selloum : 		=A312.00	(25cms. pots)

Dave Poole