Re: Advice on A. Titanum

> I have a an Amorphophalus Titanum in a one gallon container.  It is about 2.5'
> tall.  About half of the leaf is yellow brown and withering. It seems
> otherwise ok and shows no sign of going down.  Should I leave it alone, or cut
> it down and let a new stalk grow back?

Rick,

That one gallon container must be close to showing signs of pregnancy.
DON'T TAKE A KNIFE TO THAT PETIOLE! I'm certainly no expert, but here is
what I recommend:

1 - Your plant is showing signs of going dormant. In another week or three
    the leaf will collapse. When it does, leave the petiole alone. Don't
    try pulling it from the pot because it will still be attached to the
    tuber.

2 - After another week or two the petiole will separate naturally.

3 - When you remove exhume whatever is underneath you will probably find a
    tuber that is 5 or 6 inches in diameter. So obtain an oversize
    container. My tubers that are this size are in 25 or 30 gallon
    containers. From what I have seen so far, one of the secrets in
    growing these things is to give the tubers as much room as possible.

3 - I wash tubers down in a solution of water and Physan. Then I'll
    usually sprinkle a little Captan on it making sure that any soft, or
    open sores get some of the Captan.

3 - Replant in fresh medium. I think this is especially important if the
    tuber has any open sores. The medium should be slightly moist.

When you are going through the repotting process, don't leave the tuber
out of medium any longer than you have to. And certainly don't store it
in the open until it shows signs of growth. This is sure death for titanum.
No watering until you see the top of a petiole peek out from the medium.
This might take only four weeks, or it might take four months. I have
experienced both. Once you see growth begin, the watering and fertilization.
High phosphorous content preferred. I periodically give mine a heavy dose
of bone meal as a slow release source of phosphorous. In the repotting
process at Fairchild layers of cow manure (composted I think) are buried
in the containers. I have not done this.

This is a formula that seems to be working in the south Florida climate.
I'm sure you hear a bunch of variations on the above. There are several
success stories out there and I hope those will be shared with us.

Don